Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wow, What a Day!

OK, this might have passed the Earthquake Day.

Today, I went inside of the Hagia Sophia and saw it.  Words cannot describe how I felt walking through that door and the absolute amazement/astonishment/awe that I felt when I was standing there under the dome.  Did you know that it is so big that the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris could easily fit inside of the Sanctuary?  OK, for those of you who need a different point of reference, how about the Statue of Liberty being able to do jumping jacks?

I'll try to keep from waxing poetic, but I fear that I already have.

The lighting was poor, so photo taking was not optimal.  But, I bought a book.  So, you're more than welcome to meet up with me and see it.  But, it was amazing.  While the mosaics were impressive, what I think impressed me the most were the large medallions on the walls and the fresco paintings throughout.  I spent about three hours just soaking it up and I might go back tomorrow and see it again!

The four seraphim were strikingly beautiful.  On the suggestion of my Turkish friend from Nashville, Tügba, I paid special attention to the recently restored face of one of the angels.  It was breathtaking.

I could go on and on.

Afterward, I did another special visit.  In spite of having done all of this traveling in my life, I've never set foot on the continent of Asia.  So, I took a $1 ferry ride over to Asian Istanbul, where I visited a really nice mosque and went to the hypermarket and bought myself some apple tea in the grocery store.  I have a ton of it now, which should last me for about a week, when I get back.

I then went back to Europe, crossing over the Galata Bridge, to hop on the "Tünel," or Furnicular (from 1841, I think) to go up to the Istiklal Caddesi, the main drag through town.  It's an amazing street full of people.  Yes, I did do something tacky... I stopped and had a Starbucks.  I've gone several days without my grande no-fat latte and I really wanted it.  I went on down the Caddesi, stopping in a few stores and buying presents.  I even bought myself something, which as you know, I never do when I travel.  It's a scarf.  I can now run around Nashville looking like a Palestinean.  I made my way up to Taksim Square and took it in.  From Taksim Square, I walked back to the hotel, which is next to the Hagia Sophia.  I think that I walked at least 10 miles today.  Great.

I'm dead tired, but have I had a great day or what?

Here's the link to the pictures, today's sojourn is found in the last, say, 50 pictures.  I've also included pictures from my walk last evening around the Hippodrome, where I was able to "hang out" with the Byz's.

Click here for the pictures.